I've said it once and I'll say it a zillion times: Why eat treats that don't look like spaghetti and meatballs when you can eat treats that DO look like spaghetti and meatballs?
These look-a-like treats make people smile before they've even had a bite. Plus, they add quirky, eye-catching variety to any dessert table.
The cupcakes are my Bean's Best White Cake recipe baked in mini pie tins, topped with classic buttercream, strawberry jam and Maltesers. They don't feel any more labour-intensive than a typical cupcake bake-up but the aesthetic pay-off is far more rewarding.
Takeaway Spaghetti and Meatball Cupcakes Supplies
- 12 mini pie tins
- 36 Maltesers
- 1 jar strawberry jam (preferably a little chunky)
- electric mixer
- piping bag with small round attachment
Takeaway Spaghetti and Meatball Cupcakes Ingredients
makes 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
Takeaway Spaghetti and Meatball Cupcakes Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 160C/320F
2. Place your 12 mini pie tins on a baking tray
3. Combine all cake ingredients in a bowl and beat until smooth
4. Divide evenly between mini pie tins and bake for 12 minutes then set aside to cool
Takeaway Spaghetti and Meatball Frosting Ingredients
- 4 cups icing sugar (powder sugar)
- 225g butter (1 cup) at room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/8th teaspoon yellow food colouring
Takeaway Spaghetti and Meatball Frosting Instructions
1. Beat butter and icing sugar in an electric stand mixer or with a hand mixer until smooth, very fluffy and almost white in colour (should take a good 3-4 minutes)
2. Add vanilla, milk and the food colouring and keep beating it until it’s all combined
3. Scoop half the frosting into prepared piping bag (fitted with small round tip)
Takeaway Spaghetti and Meatball Cupcakes Assembly
1. Pipe frosting onto each cupcake like spaghetti, leaving a small nest of no frosting at the top
2. Spoon about 1.5 tablespoons strawberry jam into each nest
3. Top with three Maltesers and presto! You've got yourself the best treat in town.
Subscribe to Bean Mail to stay on top
of this here blog situation!