Sticklers for dessert tradition might not appreciate this twist on a true-blue Aussie treat.
But people that like SPRINKLES and CRUSHED M&Ms and BRIGHT COLOURS will quite enjoy what I've done with the Lamington.
I'll admit -- there's nothing quite like the good old-fashioned coconut coating, but throwing in a few fun alternative makes for an eye-popping treat plate!
- 1 classic sponge cake, baked in rectangular pan (go boxed mix or use the one I used over at Taste)
- Chocolate icing (I also used this one from Taste)
- Toppings: coconut, food colouring, crushed mini m&ms, crushed cookies like Oreos, sprinkles, etc.
- Wire cooling rack with baking paper underneath
- Cut your sponge cake into cubes and prepare toppings in separate bowls
- For the coloured coconut, pour some coconut into a bowl, add a few drops of food colouring and mix well
- For the crushed mini m&ms or cookies, put them into a bag and use a mallet or rolling pin to crush them; alternatively, blitz them in a food processor for a few seconds at a time
- Spear a cube with a fork and dip it into the chocolate icing then coat it in a topping
- Repeat with all the cubes!
- Allow to set for at least an hour
Subscribe to Bean Mail to stay on top
of this here blog situation!